After we arrived at our hotel, we dropped off our luggage and began wandering. Both of us were full of energy and were surprised at how good we felt after only having an hour of sleep. We wandered over to Ancient Roma. We jumped in a line of people waiting to walk their modern day feet over the same paths that the sandals of our ancestors once traveled. While basking in the hot sun and being harassed by street vendors, Logan got understandably tired of the line and ready to leave and continue aimlessly wandering.
By this time it is now afternoon and after wandering around for a while I began to get hungry while the exhaustion from not sleeping on the plane began to kick in. Needless to say, I was getting irritable. Logan and I could not get on the same page and we were both thinking that this might not be the trip we wanted it to be. That is until Logan pointed us to a hill to walk up, which I reluctantly followed. When we reached the top I looked over the ledge on my right where several tourist were standing with their cameras. There it was, Ancient Rome in all its glory. The only sight that I wanted to see, but neither of us wanted to wait in line for was in front of me and was just as amazing as I imagined it. Quickly I apologized for my grumpiness’. (Obviously since I’m writing this, I am going to come across much more pleasant then I am sure I actually was.)
We both were able to smile and admit we weren’t on the same page and continued our journey to find lunch. We found a greatly little spot with pizza for 6 euro. Over lunch we decided for the rest of the day we would wander and stop occasionally to get wine. That is, after we go back to the hotel and get ourselves refreshed from a full day of traveling and a half day of walking around in the hot sun. We heading back to our hotel which was now ready and took a much needed nap and shower. We woke up refreshed and ready to take on the evening.
After dressing we started to walk towards the Trevi Fountain. Along the way we came across a little restaurant down stairs on an ally way. We poked our heads in and for the first time felt like we weren’t in Disney. This is Rome. These are Italians. We were going to eat like a local. We got a liter of house red wine and the biggest appetizer we’ve ever seen. We ate like kings and it was good. After our amazing meal we continued to the Fountain. It was as incredible as I imagined. Just like most things in Rome, you scroll in search of something amazing and just when you look down at your map trying to see if you missed a turn, you gaze up and see a monument so incredible you could never miss it. The Trevi Fountain did not disappoint. We took our coins and made our wish to come back to Rome and started our journey down winding streets that might eventually make our way back to the hotel. Of course we made a stop to get more Vino.
A perfect way to end the day. What we thought was a disaster ended up to be pure bliss. We laughed about earlier on our walk back and both agreed that our trip had started off just the way it needed to. We will now be able to appreciate Rome for what it is – the best city to start our Holiday in Italy.


No comments:
Post a Comment